The Openshaw Report

The GSD has said the recent postponement of the McGrail Inquiry has left “clouds of unresolved issues” ahead of a general election.

Last week Sir Peter Openshaw, the retired UK judge who is chairing the Inquiry, announced the postponement over concerns it could prejudice an ongoing police investigation into allegations that witnesses may have received incentives to provide evidence.

In response the GSD called this a “worrying development in an already festering saga”, adding this will delay the closure needed to this prolonged case.

“Decisions as to the proper conduct and management of the Inquiry are for its Chairman but what is also clear is that Gibraltar would not likely be at this unsatisfactory stage if the Inquiry had been convened by the Government when it was originally promised,” the GSD said.

“After all the Chief Minister promised to convene this in July 2020 and then failed to do so till early last year. If that delay of 18 months had not happened it is likely that there would have been an outcome to all processes by now.”

The GSD said this allegation into witness incentives followed a “bizarre sequence of events” when Mr Picardo said he had seen evidence of criminal allegations against Mr McGrail.

The party added this was swiftly followed by the Commissioner of Police denying having seen such evidence a day later.

“The fact that it emerged subsequently that letters of assurance to 14 police officers had been signed by the Chief Minister when it was unnecessary to do so,” the GSD said.

“Without commenting on an ongoing investigation or suggesting criminal conduct the GSD has said for some time that issuing letters of assurance smacked of inappropriate conduct.”

“It is important in the public interest that the Inquiry go ahead as soon as possible so that all issues are investigated but those timings are for the Chairman.”

“Now the ongoing criminal and inquiry processes will mean that the timings are uncertain. What is certain is that the hearings will not proceed ahead of a general election. “

“This is a general election that Mr Picardo will face with a cloud of allegations against him from Mr McGrail of improper conduct and a further cloud of inappropriate involvement in evidence gathering processes both of which currently lie unresolved.”

The Government says it agrees with the Opposition that it is important the McGrail Inquiry go ahead as soon as possible. However it has stressed the timing of that is a matter for the Chairman of the Inquiry.

The Chief Minister says the allegations against him are “baseless” and believes the final hearings of the Inquiry will show he and the Government acted “entirely properly” at all times.

Fabian Picardo said: “I have stated from the first moment that the Inquiry will demonstrate that I acted entirely properly at all times.

I therefore have no reason to be concerned about any spurious and baseless allegations that may be made against me by Mr McGrail or any other party. “I have acted entirely lawfully in every instance and ensured that our sacrosanct rule of law is respected in every aspect of what I do every day in No6 Convent Place, not least in every dealing I have had with Mr McGrail before, during and after his time as Commissioner of Police.

“When subjected to the scrutiny of the Inquiry, I have no doubt that the full truth will emerge and it will be clear that the GSD and Mr Azopardi were wrong to take at face value any of the allegations being made against the Government, which they are amplifying for their own party political purposes, and in that way making the issues partisan when they are not."

“The final hearings of the Inquiry will, unfortunately, now take longer than anyone would wish, but that will not alter the outcome that I am confident will entirely vindicate my position and the position of His Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar as a whole in respect of all aspects of this matter.”

The former Chairman of the Police Federation says it it’s regrettable that Ian McGrail’s legal team has commented on an ongoing criminal investigation.

Maurice Morello says the former police commissioner’s lawyers are wrong to claim the police federation or Mr Morello himself were involved in any “potentially illegal inducements” in exchange for evidence against Mr McGrail.

These are the latest comments by an interested party since the McGrail Inquiry was delayed due to the risk of jeopardising an ongoing criminal investigation concerning allegations that witnesses may have received incentives for providing evidence to the inquiry.

Maurice Morello says he assisted individuals in obtaining a letter of assurance from the Government that if their position became untenable as a result of their disclosure, that they would be transferred out of the RGP whilst retaining their salary and pension rights.

The former federation chairman says transferring out of the RGP to other jobs in the wider public sector is not new, nor unique to the police. He argues that for officers for whom policing was a vocation, giving up their career is not an inducement.

Mr Morello points out that in the trial in which Mr McGrail was found not guilty of one count of sexual assault, Stipendiary Magistrate Charles Pitto said there was no evidence of inducement given to the complainant for giving her evidence and that the letter offered only the whistle blowing protections that are afforded under law.

Notwithstanding, there is an ongoing criminal investigation led by senior investigating officer John McVea, who said it is unlikely to be completed before the 26th of September, when the McGrail Inquiry had been scheduled to start. There is still no new start date for the official review of the events leading up to Mr McGrail’s early retirement as police commissioner in June 2020.

Former Police Federation Chairman 'not involved in any potentially illegal...

Below follows a statement from former Chairman of the Gibraltar Police Federation, Mr Maurice Morello:

As former Chairman of the Gibraltar Police Federation, from 2019- 2023, I am driven to make this statement in response to a statement made by Mr McGrail’s legal team reported by GBC on 11th August 2023.

It is extremely regrettable that Mr McGrail’s legal team has seen it fit to make a public statement on matters which are currently the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation and consideration by the Public Inquiry. I did not wish to make this public statement as I was respectful of the both the ongoing Public Inquiry process and the ongoing criminal investigation, but as former Chairman of the GPF, I owe it to the individual members and former members of the GPF that have stepped forward to report alleged criminality and misconduct within the Royal Gibraltar Police, to correct the misinformation spouted by Mr McGrail’s legal team.

It is completely wrong to state that I or the GPF were in any way involved with any “potentially illegal inducements” offered to officers in exchange for evidence against Mr McGrail or generally against the RGP or any particular police officer.

That is simply not true and pure misinformation on behalf of Mr McGrail’s legal team.

No individual was ever approached by the GPF to provide statements of complaint. Instead, individual officers voluntarily approached the GPF with their complaints, for guidance and advice. These complaints alleged very serious criminality by officers of the Royal Gibraltar Police, such as, for example, corruption, entrapment, perverting the course of justice, theft and misuse of public funds, as well as disciplinary offences such as neglect of duty and bullying.

These are serious allegations of criminality and wrongdoing against members of the very organisation entrusted to enforce the law. Making complaints against the police whilst a serving police officer yourself is not an easy thing to do. It should come as no surprise to Mr McGrail’s legal team, or anyone else, that those officers stepping forward and whistleblowing would wish to seek every protection and assurance possible when doing so. As the Chairman of the GPF at the time, that is what I endeavoured to do. Specifically, I assisted the individualS in obtaining a letter of assurance from the Government that if their position became untenable as a result of their disclosure, that they would be transferred out of the RGP whilst retaining their salary and pension rights.

Contrary to what Mr McGrail’s legal team is trying to prejudice public opinion with, there was no “illegal deal”. Members of the RGP transferring out of the RGP to other jobs in the wider public sector is nothing new. Indeed, many are likely to know former police officers that for one reason or another have been moved in this way, for various reasons. This is also not a phenomenon unique to the RGP, I am aware, as I am sure many others will be, of similar transfers out occurring within the wider public sector generally, again for various reasons.

At the recent trial of Mr McGrail, his legal team had the opportunity to put their speculative allegations to the test in the cross-examination of the complainant and other witnesses, including the Senior Investigative Officer Mr John McVea and myself. Indeed, the letter of assurance in respect of the complainant was before the court and available for the scrutiny of Mr McGrail’s legal team.

When questioned on the letter of assurance Mr McVea was reported by GBC on 7 th June 2023 as saying, in his evidence under oath, that “he had no concerns surrounding the integrity of the evidence of the complainant, or about the letter which assured her of whistleblowing protections”.

Such was the vacuous nature of these speculative allegations that, as reported by GBC on 12 th June 2023, in the Stipendiary Magistrate’s judgment at the end of the case and after Mr McGrail’s legal team had the opportunity to scrutinise and test the letter of assurance and the surrounding circumstances of its issue, “there was no evidence of inducement given to [the complainant] for giving her evidence and that the letter offered only the whistle blowing protections that are offered under law”.

In fact, in some cases, leaving the force, even if on the same financial terms, was no inducement to officers at all. This is because to many policing was their vocation, a job they long aspired to and were passionate about. In making their complaints many have felt that, for various reasons, they are no longer able to remain within the organisation doing the job they loved and therefore have had to give up their careers in policing. Giving up your career, that you are passionate about, is no inducement.

Finally, I agree with Mr McGrail’s legal team that those that are responsible for illegality should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but on misinforming the public on imaginary “illegal deals”, which in respect of one complaint has already been publicly judicially determined not to have been any inducement at all (illegal or otherwise), Mr McGrail’s legal team seem to be content in overlooking, or divert attention from, the substantive complaints alleging very serious criminality and wrongdoing made against former and current officers of the Royal Gibraltar Police, which in my view is where the public interest lies. These are matters which require investigation, and it will be for the RGP investigating team to decide where, if anywhere, they lead, without unnecessary and speculative distractions.

I will be providing my account of my involvement in these matters to the Royal Gibraltar Police in its investigation.

Three more men - a serving police officer and two former officers - have been arrested on suspicion of falsifying accounts against former Police Commissioner Ian McGrail.

The arrests were carried out on Thursday at 7am.

The serving RGP officer is 34 years old and the former officers are 47 and 40.

They were arrested on suspicion of Conspiracy to Pervert the Course of Justice in relation to false accounts that were given against former Commissioner Ian McGrail and another RGP officer following an incident in 2015.

This brings the total number of serving or former officers arrested to five. At this stage, none of them have been charged.

On 13th July a 36 year old officer was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice, and a 36 year old former officer on suspicion of fabricating a note which supported an allegation against the former Commissioner.

This ongoing investigation is the reason why the McGrail Inquiry has been delayed and will not be held next month.

It is being led by Senior Investigating Officer John McVea, who is in Gibraltar after the current Police Commissioner Richard Ullger issued a request to UK policing, which the Police Service of Northern Ireland took up via mutual aid - the provision of policing assistance from one force to another, usually provided in response to or in anticipation of a major incident or event.

GBC has put a number of questions to both the Royal Gibraltar Police and the Government,

We asked the RGP if the two serving officers arrested in connection with this investigation have been suspended from the force.

We also asked about the composition of the team being led by Mr McVea.

A spokesperson said they would not be commenting further on this matter.

We asked the Government how many of the three former police officers arrested here have been employed in the public service since leaving the RGP, and if so, have they now been suspended.

The Government says it will not, at this stage, make any comment about the arrests this morning.

Written by YGTV Team on 12 September 2023.

The GSLP Liberals have reacted to what they describe as the “incorrect statement” issued by the GSD this afternoon following the announcement of a General Election for Thursday 12th October 2023

Reacting to the statement, the Leader of the GSLP Liberals, Fabian Picardo, said:

“Mr Azopardi clearly wants to make this election about the McGrail Inquiry. He wants to politically use the McGrail Inquiry to try and deflect from the fact that now, on the CUSP of a future relationship treaty with the EU, this is not the time to change Government.

“As I have already said on many occasions, I am ENTIRELY confident that the Inquiry will find I acted entirely properly throughout.

“The inquiry could not come soon enough as far as I am concerned, as it will reveal the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

“That truth will show I acted ENTIRELY properly throughout and as every Gibraltarian and resident of Gibraltar would have expected me to act in all of the circumstances which were relevant at each moment.

“I therefore make it absolutely clear to Mr Azopardi and the GSD that the announcement of the General Election for Thursday 12th October has no connection whatsoever to the McGrail inquiry.

“For Mr Azopardi to continue to pretend otherwise is just to seek to mislead the public with untruths.

“I have consistently said that I have known what the election date would be for the past two years.

“This was never hidden or veiled in secrecy; instead, it was openly shared with the public by me, repeatedly.

“The timeline of events leading up to the election date announcement clearly demonstrates that it was based on factors unrelated to the McGrail inquiry.

“My decision to call the General Election for October 12th was always influenced by various significant developments.

“The completion of three magnificent state of the art new schools was one such pivotal factor.

“These schools will play a crucial role in shaping the future of Gibraltar's education system and will provide our future generations with the facilities they so desperately deserved, and which were neglected for so long by the GSD.

“The completion of 380 affordable homes at Hassans Centenary Terraces, a flagship programme of the Government I have led, was another.

“I was very clear that this was essential for me in showing we were delivering on affordable housing, despite the COVID and BREXIT inflicted delays.

“The timing of National Day, an event celebrated by ALL Gibraltarians, was also a factor I considered when calling the election date.

“No Chief Minister would wish to address the public as caretaker on that important day for our nation.

“Finally, I knew I wanted the date to be BEFORE 17th October, so I did not exceed four years in post since the last election.

“I therefore urge Mr Azopardi and the GSD to focus on the issues at stake for Gibraltar and not try to distract with the unrelated issues that will arise in the McGrail inquiry when it comes on.

“In fact, I had hoped it would be over by now so people could have seen how right and proper all my actions were and have been in that context.

“It is essential that we maintain a constructive and forward-looking political discourse that addresses the real concerns and aspirations of our people.

“I therefore urge Mr Azopardi not to try to muddy the waters with unrelated references to how I picked the election date.

“If he had studied the calendar of events which the public knew were coming, he should have know how to astutely pick the date I was going for.

“Instead, today, he was obviously not ready to hold a press conference and get his campaign going, whatever he might say, and has chosen to go with a red herring and a copy of our campaign slogans from 2011 rather than with announcements of new policies.

“In the GSLP Liberals we are ready to set out what we are proposing to Gibraltar for the next four years in Government.

“We have already started that today in our 4pm press conference and will continue in coming days and weeks.

"I cannot wait to set these aspirations out in detail for the people of Gibraltar to see for themselves how we propose to progress Gibraltar over the next four years and beyond.

“Our vision, vitality and determination to #GetTheJobDone will ensure we #KeepGibraltarSafe.”

The McGrail Inquiry is “part of the election backdrop” whether GSLP leader Fabian Picardo “likes it or not”, Keith Azopardi, the leader of the GSD, said on Wednesday.

The GSD had earlier this week said the October 12 date for the election had been chosen by Mr Picardo because it did not coincide with any inquiry hearings.

The drew a response from Mr Picardo, who said the timing was unrelated to the inquiry and was instead largely dictated by the completion of major infrastructure projects including new schools and affordable housing, and by a desire not to exceed the four-year term which ended on October 17.

But hitting back, the GSD accused Mr Picardo of “running scared” from the inquiry and the serious allegations of wrongdoing levelled against, which he robustly denies.

Mr Picardo had said the inquiry “cannot come soon enough” but the GSD said this was a “stunning” statement given his lawyers had raised concerns before the inquiry chairman, retired UK judge Sir Peter Openshaw, about the “appropriateness” of the hearings going ahead during a general election.

“The implication is clear, namely that Mr Picardo did not want the McGrail Inquiry to be the backdrop to his re-election campaign,” the GSD said in a statement.

The main inquiry hearing has been postponed against the backdrop of parallel criminal investigations into allegations that witness statemented against Mr McGrail had been fabricated.

This left the calendar free of any McGrail inquiry hearings until at least the end of October.

“Mr Picardo has chosen a date for the general election that is free of any McGrail Inquiry hearing,” GSD leader Keith Azopardi said.

“That is a fact.”

“Presumably that is what he would have wanted when he expressed concern about the ‘appropriateness’ of an election coinciding with the McGrail Inquiry.”

“That is not an attempt to muddy the waters.”

“It is also a fact that he goes into the election with clouds of allegations of improper conduct hanging over him. That is unprecedented for a Chief Minister.”

“He can say what he likes but we are asked to believe that the timing of the election has nothing to do with the McGrail Inquiry having no hearings till at least the end of October.”

“The GSD does not believe the timing is coincidental given the previous indications from Mr Picardo’s lawyers.”

“He clearly didn’t want an election to coincide with any hearing in the McGrail Inquiry because he is running scared from the political damage caused by that inquiry.”

“That is also part of the election backdrop whether he likes it or not.”

Mr Picardo had accused Mr Azopardi of seeking to use the inquiry politically to deflect from a central plank of the GSLP/Liberal campaign, which is that Gibraltar is “on the cusp” of a UK/EU treaty on the Rock’s post-Brexit future and that “now is not the time to change government”.

“As I have already said on many occasions, I am entirely confident that the inquiry will find I acted entirely properly throughout,” Mr Picardo said earlier this week.

ANDORRA

There was another clash too between Mr Picardo and Mr Azopardi on the issue of Andorra.

Underpinning the clash is the GSLP/Liberals central argument in this election that now is not the time to change the Gibraltar team involved in the negotiations on the treaty.

During one of the two daily press conferences that the GSLP/Liberals now plan to hold during their campaign, Mr Picardo again raised references to the so-called ‘Andorra solution’ that Mr Azopardi had made in an academic book he published over a decade ago.

In the book, Mr Azopardi argued Andorra would not represent joint sovereignty.

Mr Azopardi, who describes himself as “a hawk on foreign affairs”, has since made clear repeatedly that he does not support an Andorra solution for Gibraltar.

But for Mr Picardo, his position was contradictory and amounted to a weakness at the negotiating table.

“I have sat opposite the Spanish,” he told reporters.

“I know what they’re thinking. The Spanish have told me specifically, we read everything that Mr Azopardi says.”

“They’re looking for nuance in everything.”

“There is no nuance on the GSLP/Liberal side, they know that we are a brick wall.”

Andorra “does not pass the GSLP filter”.

Mr Picardo said he would always be available to help a future Chief Minister, but made clear he would not form part of a cross-party negotiating team should the GSD win the election.

“You need human engagement to be able to do negotiations, and you have to have a very clear baseline position,” he said.

“We have a very clear baseline position.”

Mr Picardo urged voters to consider their choice carefully and avoid any changes at this critical juncture.

A change of government “is not how you keep Gibraltar safe,” he said.

“You keep Gibraltar safe with the team that has the experience and the continuity to be able to get to the stage where we land this aircraft post Brexit, and then maybe Gibraltar can afford to have a different sort of election in the future.”

But Mr Azopardi said that position smacked of desperation, accusing Mr Picardo of “peddling nonsense” that the GSD was soft on Spain and that it was “dangerous” to elect them to government.

The GSD said Mr Azopardi had “specifically and unequivocally” rejected an Andorra solution for Gibraltar in a 2011 election debate at which Mr Picardo was present and nodded in agreement.

“How many times is Mr Picardo going to lie or mislead people on this issue?” Mr Azopardi said.

“He knows I said in 2011 that Andorra “is not a solution for Gibraltar….[and that] the Andorra solution is never going to be a model for Gibraltar. Let me make that very, very clear.”

“If it is true that Spain avidly read what I say, then they will know that I ruled out an Andorra solution for Gibraltar.”

“They would also know we think Mr Picardo’s 2019 tax treaty was a shoddy concessionary deal.”

“This is the same tactic the old GSLP tried with Peter Caruana in 1996 and that Mr Picardo rolled out in 2011 against Sir Peter Caruana.”

“This is just the same old card from the old tired GSLP playbook.”

“And it is a disgrace of course that people who know me will not believe.”

“After 30 years in politics people know where I stand on Spain.”

“I was there and worked very hard to defeat joint sovereignty in 2002. Where was Mr Picardo then?”

“This is just a smokescreen. The reality is that he has a litany of failures in his wake.”

“High debt, an inability or worse still, an unwillingness to control waste, abuse and corruption and a track record of failure on Brexit.”

“He can’t deliver the basics to people – clean streets, affordable housing on time or services that work efficiently.”

“All he has left is to distract from the issues. We will not allow him to do so.”

20th October 2023
The McGrail Inquiry has confirmed it will reconvene next week for its fifth preliminary hearing, against the backdrop of a live criminal investigation that forced the postponement of the full hearing initially scheduled to have started last month.

Sir Peter Openshaw, the retired UK judge chairing the Inquiry, postponed the main hearing over concerns it could prejudice an ongoing police investigation into allegations that some witnesses may have received incentives to provide evidence.

The two-day hearing on October 25 and 26 will receive an update on progress toward a full hearing in introductory comments from the Inquiry chairman.

It will also hear submissions on the Attorney General’s decision in January 2022 to enter a nolle prosequi that discontinued a prosecution related to the alleged hacking of the National Security Centralised Intelligence System and an alleged conspiracy to defraud Bland, the company that operated it.

The conspiracy investigation into those alleged incidents and the RGP’s handling of it form part of the preliminary list of issues that the Inquiry will investigate.

But the session next week will hear submissions on the extent to which Inquiry should probe the reasons for the nolle prosequi, if at all.

The issue was raised at the last preliminary hearing, during which Sir Peter Openshaw said he would formulate questions for the parties to address in submissions next week, albeit stopping short at this stage of the reasons for the nolle prosequi.

“I will cause a possible formulation of the questions to be circulated and, when we have agreed what the questions are, I will invite arguments on it and the matter will require a ruling,” Sir Peter Openshaw said at the time.

“Because, essentially, and put very crudely, [former police Commissioner Ian] McGrail and perhaps others want to know why the nolle was issued and, no doubt for sound reasons, the Government are going to resist answering the question, and, indeed, you [meaning lawyers for the Government parties] are probably going to say that there is no right to ask the question, but that needs to be sorted out.”

Sir Peter Caruana, KC, the lawyer for the Government parties, told that same hearing that the Attorney General, who took the decision to discontinue the prosecution, would not reveal the reasons for the nolle prosequi “unless ordered by a court of final recourse to do so… for reasons that he has explained publicly already, and that is that it would defeat the reasons for entering into the nolle.”

The agenda for the hearing next week includes applications for restriction orders and proposed amendments to the provisional list of issues that the Inquiry will examine.

It will also deal with submissions on provisional dates for the main Inquiry hearing, on the list of witnesses who will give evidence and on dates for the process of agreeing facts between the parties.

Sir Peter Openshaw is tasked with probing the reasons and circumstances leading to Mr McGrail’s controversial early retirement in June 2020, after a 36-year career and halfway through his term in the top post at the Royal Gibraltar Police.

In earlier sessions, Mr McGrail’s lawyers alleged “misconduct and corruption” at the highest levels of government, insisting Mr McGrail was “muscled out” after being placed under huge pressure over the conduct of a live criminal investigation.

Those allegations were “denied and roundly rejected” at the time by Sir Peter Caruana, who said Mr McGrail retired because he knew he had lost the confidence not just of the Chief Minister but, crucially, of the then Governor, who was the only person with the power to ask him to resign.

The main hearing for the McGrail Inquiry will take place over four weeks as from Monday 8th April.

The dates were set this morning at a preliminary hearing for the Inquiry into the reasons for the former Commissioner of Police's early retirement.

Today's session also examined whether the main hearing will deal with the Attorney General’s decision to discontinue a prosecution in January 2022 will be examined in the main hearing remains open.

The first floor of the Garrison Library is mainly occupied by some 18 lawyers representing the different core participants in this matter - now including, for the first time in this process, the individuals whose criminal trial was discontinued.

Back in January 2022, the Attorney General entered a Nolle Prosequi in the case of Lee Cornelio, John Perez and Caine Sanchez, who were charged with conspiracy to defraud Bland Ltd and undermining its ability to fulfil its national security contract with the Gibraltar Government.

The McGrail Inquiry is examining the relevance of the decision to discontinue this criminal trial, and whether it should form part of the main hearing.

It is also considering whether the AG can properly be asked why he discontinued the prosecution, whether he is entitled or even required to answer the question.

The Inquiry is also pondering whether it is entitled to draw any inferences from the AG's failure to answer these questions.

Mr McGrail's lawyer Adam Wagner’s evidence is that the Chief Minister triggered and then directed the events that forced Mr McGrail to take early retirement.

Mr Wagner claims Mr Picardo himself was potentially implicated in Operation Delhi, a police operation in which a business associate of his was a key suspect, and that therefore there was motive to protect himself from personal and political danger.

Mr McGrail’s lawyer claims the Attorney General played a key enabling role and acted on instruction of the CM.

Their claim is therefore that the nolle prosequi is plainly relevant to the Inquiry.

Appearing for the Chief Minister, the Attorney General and the Government, Sir Peter Caruana said Michael Llamas has already given evidence on oath and to treat the sworn evidence of a serving AG with scepticism without justification is is wholly inappropriate.

Sir Peter said the AG will not answer any questions regarding the discontinuance of the trial unless ordered to do so by a court of final recourse.

The Inquiry’s counsel Julian Santos said the AG has also said he is willing to give the reasons for the nolle to the Inquiry’s chairperson on a confidential basis.

A decision on these matters is expected in the coming days.

One thing the Inquiry will NOT be dealing with is any allegations or complaints made against Mr McGrail during his time as commissioner, unless they were part of discussions between the then Governor Nick Pyle, and the Gibraltar Police Authority.

McGrail Inquiry sets new date for main hearing, explores ‘knotty issues’ around ‘nolle prosequi’

The McGrail Inquiry has set a new date for its full hearing, which is now scheduled to run over four weeks commencing on April 8 in 2024.

The full hearing had initially been scheduled to start last month but was postponed over concerns it could prejudice an ongoing police investigation into allegations that some witnesses may have received incentives to provide evidence.

Julian Santos, counsel to the Inquiry, said the April start date was “achievable” given the progress made to date in preparing for the main hearing.

“Although, obviously, I have to say that that is still subject to any updates from the RGP as to the progress of that criminal investigation, which gave rise to the postponement in the first place,” he added.

Sir Peter Openshaw, the retired UK judge chairing the Inquiry, had previously underlined the importance of proceeding to the full hearing as soon as possible given the public interest in the Inquiry.

“We cannot put the inquiry off forever because of ongoing criminal investigations,” he said on Wednesday.

“I have put them off in March. That was plenty of time.”

The new date was announced during the fifth preliminary hearing of the Inquiry in the Garrison Library.

The Inquiry is tasked with probing the reasons and circumstances leading to the controversial early retirement in June 2020 of former police Commissioner Ian McGrail, after a 36-year career and halfway through his term in the top post at the Royal Gibraltar Police.

In earlier sessions, Mr McGrail’s lawyers alleged “misconduct and corruption” at the highest levels of government, insisting Mr McGrail was “muscled out” after being placed under huge pressure over the conduct of a live criminal investigation.

Those allegations were “denied and roundly rejected” at the time by Sir Peter Caruana, the lawyer for the government parties, who said Mr McGrail retired because he knew he had lost the confidence not just of the Chief Minister but, crucially, of the then Governor, who was the only person with the power to ask him to resign.

Among the list of issues that the Inquiry will investigate is the RGP’s handling of the investigation into the alleged “hacking and/or sabotage” of the National Security Centralised Intelligence System and an alleged conspiracy to defraud Bland, the company that operated it.

A central theme in the submissions yesterday related to the decision by Attorney General Michael Llamas, KC, in January 2022 to enter a nolle prosequi that discontinued the prosecution arising from that investigation.

In explaining his decision at the time, Mr Llamas said he had taken the step because of “matters in the wider public interest”, adding that to explain his reasoning in any further detail would defeat the decision to discontinue the case.

On Wednesday, the questions before the Inquiry included whether it was relevant to the Inquiry to know what the Attorney General’s reasons were and whether this was within the scope of its mandate.

Lawyers also explored whether the law allowed the Attorney General to keep the reasons private in the public interest and, if so, whether Sir Peter Openshaw was entitled to draw inferences, in reaching his conclusions, if those reasons were not aired.

Those questions, the Inquiry chairman said, raised “knotty problems” that needed to be addressed ahead of the main hearing next year.

The exchanges were dense and focused largely on the law underpinning the Attorney General’s decision, as well as its relevance to the Inquiry’s work.

Sir Peter Openshaw said lawyers for Mr McGrail were arguing that the Chief Minister “…triggered and then directed the events which forced Mr McGrail to take early retirement”, and that he was “potentially implicated” in the investigation into the alleged conspiracy. Lawyers for the Chief Minister have robustly denied those allegations.

Addressing Adam Wagner, one of Mr McGrail’s lawyers, Sir Peter Openshaw added: “Therefore, it is your case that the Chief Minister's motive in removing Mr McGrail was to protect him, the Chief Minister, from personal and political danger presented to him and to his government.”

“And you allege that the Attorney General played, as you put it, ‘a key enabling role and was at all material times acting under the instruction of the Chief Minister’.”

“Therefore, you submit that if the real reasons for discontinuing the prosecution were to protect the political reputation of the Chief Minister and the government from the fall out of the impending trial, and if the Chief Minister and the Attorney General were driven by the same motives in discontinuing the trial as they had been in engineering his retirement, then the one is plainly relevant to the other.”

Mr Wagner, who attended the hearing remotely from London, agreed with the chairman’s summary of Mr McGrail’s position and reiterated that there was a “possibility, and I do not put it more than that, that these are very relevant issues to this inquiry”.

Sir Peter Caruana, the lawyer for the government parties including the Chief Minister, the Attorney General and Nick Pyle, the interim Governor at the time of Mr McGrail’s early retirement, said the suggestion that the Attorney General had acted improperly was “obviously denied”.

But even if the Attorney General had done what was claimed, he said, it was of no relevance to the work of the Inquiry in establishing why the Chief Minister and the then Governor lost confidence in the former Commissioner 12 months before the nolle prosequi was entered.

“It cannot just sound in an echoey room to be prejudicial,” Sir Peter Caruana said.

“It has to be forensically relevant of the issue under inquiry.”

And he added: “I suppose, sir, we could speculate about everything and if speculation and bold assertion are enough grounding foundation for relevance, then in theory, everything is in the scope of this inquiry, simply because somebody asserts it on the basis of their suspicion or, to quote Mr Wagner, ‘without putting it any higher than a possibility’.”

Sir Peter Caruana noted that neither the Chief Minister nor the Attorney General had “made any attempt” in the Inquiry to protect their respective roles from being probed in open sessions.
“Smoke and mirrors is not a proper basis for the establishment of relevance,” he said.

Sir Peter Caruana noted too that the Attorney General was willing to share “in full” his reasons for discontinuing the alleged conspiracy case with the Inquiry chairman and his legal team, “but not more widely”.

He said that evidence, if accepted, would be “more real than the speculative case to the contrary, which is no case at all.”

“There is at least some forensic relevance to that offer, which you, sir, can take up at any time, catching the Attorney General out at any moment of your choice, if Mr McGrail were right,” Sir Peter Caruana said.

“On the other side, all you have is unfounded speculation which is forensic of nothing except the motives of the bald asserter.”

The Inquiry heard submissions arguing that the Attorney General had the power in law to discontinue a prosecution and not have to give reasons for this in public.

But there was ample debate too as to whether that power was at odds with those of the Inquiry itself to properly fulfil its terms of reference and report accordingly.

Sir Peter Openshaw noted that if he accepted the Attorney General’s offer to provide the reasons for the nolle prosequi only to him and his legal team, it could limit his ability to reflect on them appropriately in his final report, especially if he questioned the veracity of the Attorney General’s evidence or the adequacy of his reasoning.

“Then that puts me in an extremely difficult position, does it not?” the Inquiry chairman said.

Sir Peter Caruana replied that, while it would be a precondition of the Attorney General sharing his reasoning that they remained private, that would not stop the Inquiry chairman from criticising him if he saw fit.

Sir Peter Openshaw would be “…free to criticise them as much as you want in your report, so long as that criticism does not include airing the reasons,” Sir Peter Caruana said.
Mr Wagner’s view, however, was that any limitation on the Inquiry’s powers to investigate an area in which public interest and confidentiality issues arose should be determined by Sir Peter Openshaw.

“It is ultimately your power to decide…not the Attorney General’s,” Mr Wagner said.

In his submissions, Sir Peter Caruana also noted that the Attorney General, in a sworn affidavit to the Inquiry, had said under oath that “…the reasons why I entered the nolle two years later, had nothing to do with protecting the office... My decision was based on matters that were brought to my attention over a year after the event of May and June".

Sir Peter Caruana acknowledged Mr Wagner’s position that no one’s evidence should simply be taken at face value because of who they are.

But he added: “I would submit that to treat the sworn evidence of a serving Attorney General with scepticism, without any evidence whatsoever to justify that scepticism, is wholly inappropriate and not a sufficient basis for the question.

Sir Peter Openshaw has yet to rule on how the Inquiry will address this issue.

The Inquiry will reconvene today to hear submissions in private on applications for restriction orders on aspects of the main hearing and the evidence it will consider.

LAWYERS
Mr McGrail is represented by Adam Wagner, Charles Gomez and Daniel Benyunes.

Sir Peter Caruana is assisted by Chris Allan and Philip Dumas.

Other core participants were also represented in the hearing on Wednesday.

The chairman of the Gibraltar Police Authority, Dr Joseph Britto, is represented by James Neish, KC, assisted by Shane Danino.

Current members of the RGP are represented by Nicholas Cruz and Arcelia Hernandez Cordero.

The Gibraltar Police Federation is represented by Gilbert Licudi, KC, and Charles Bonfante.

John Perez, Thomas Cornelio and Caine Sanchez are represented by Ben Cooper, KC, Ellis Sareen and Callum Smith.

Former police superintendent Paul Richardson is represented by Patrick Gibbs, KC.

Mr Santos, counsel to the Inquiry, is assisted by Hope Williams.

The lawyer representing former Police Commissioner Ian McGrail at the inquiry into his early retirement is to be awarded the President of Ireland's Distinguished Service Award.

The award recognises exceptional achievements, contributions, and service of members. Each of the thirteen persons awarded have made an outstanding mark in their field.

Human Rights lawyer Caoilfhionn Gallagher KC has acted in a number of cases concerning the rights of the Irish in Britain and in complex cases concerning cross-border issues between Ireland and Britain.

Sir Peter Openshaw, the retired UK judge chairing the McGrail Inquiry, issued a ruling yesterday in which he clarified the extent to which the inquiry would probe the Gibraltar Police Federation’s difficult relationship with former police Commissioner Ian McGrail.

In the ruling, which followed the fifth preliminary hearing held recently, Sir Peter Openshaw also added two names to the list of witnesses who will give oral evidence to the main four-week inquiry hearing due to start on April 8 next year.

The Inquiry is tasked with probing the reasons and circumstances leading to Mr McGrail’s controversial early retirement in June 2020, after a 36-year career and halfway through his term in the top post at the Royal Gibraltar Police.

Those allegations were “denied and roundly rejected” at the time by Sir Peter Caruana, KC, the lawyer for the government parties, who said Mr McGrail retired because he knew he had lost the confidence not just of the Chief Minister but, crucially, of the then Governor, who was the only person with the power to ask him to resign.

The list of provisional issues that the inquiry will look into initially included “any complaint(s) made by the Gibraltar Police Federation and/or its members to the Gibraltar Police Authority [GPA] about Mr McGrail.”

But lawyers for different core participants in the process raised concerns about the language of that paragraph, urging the inquiry chairman to amend the wording.

James Neish, KC, representing the GPA, said the initial wording pre-supposed a complaint was made, which he did not accept given “many” GPA members had made statements to the inquiry saying “no such complaints were made”, the chairman noted in his ruling.

Additionally Julian Santos, counsel to the inquiry, had noted that the paragraph as initially drafted did not properly reflect the evidence of Nick Pyle, the interim Governor at the time Mr McGrail retired.

In an affidavit to the inquiry, Mr Pyle had referred to a “fractured relationship” between Mr McGrail and the Federation.

“Mr McGrail's management style resulted in a fractured, almost hostile relationship between him and the Gibraltar Police Federation, the representative body of rank and file and more junior officers in the RGP and in poor morale within the RGP,” Mr Pyle said, according to excerpts of the affidavit quoted by Sir Peter Openshaw in the ruling.

The inquiry chairman also quoted Mr Pyle referring to the tensions culminating in formal complaints from the Federation to the GPA, and that the authority “regularly” discussed “allegations of bullying and intimidation” by Mr McGrail.

“While this issue was a concern of a lesser order of gravity, it nevertheless fitted into the pattern of behaviours by Mr McGrail which was already causing me concern and causing me to begin to lose confidence in him,” Mr Pyle said in the affidavit.

Mr Pyle also referred to “numerous anecdotal stories of bad practice and behaviours” at the RGP, including “numerous stories from different sources of the RGP turning a blind eye with crimes committed by people they know”.

Mr Pyle said in the affidavit that he had felt it was not possible at the time to act on rumour and anecdote, but that they had added to his “growing sense of unease”.

The lawyers for the core participants had discussed different wording to address the concerns raised.

Adam Wagner, one of Mr McGrail’s lawyers, said the wording should not extend the scope for investigation in a manner that was “unjustified” and irrelevant to the reasons why the Chief Minister had lost confidence in the former Commissioner.

There was also concern that widening the scope would require further disclosure, with knock-on demands on resources and expense.

In the end, the inquiry opted for language proposed by counsel to the inquiry that narrowed the scope of the issue to encompass the difficult relationship between Mr McGrail and the Federation only to the extent that it came before the GPA.

Sir Peter Openshaw ruled on new language for the contentious paragraph, which now states the inquiry will consider: “The complaint(s), if any, made by the Gibraltar Police Federation (“the Federation”) and/or its members to the Gibraltar Police Authority about Mr McGrail (including as to the difficult relationship between Mr McGrail and the Federation), and any allegations of bullying or intimidation by Mr McGrail discussed by the Gibraltar Police Authority (“the Federation Complaints”).”

WITNESSES

In the ruling, Sir Peter Openshaw also agreed to add former Government lawyer Lloyd De Vincenzi to the list of witnesses who will give oral evidence to the inquiry.

This was at the request of Nick Cruz, counsel for the Royal Gibraltar Police, and Patrick Gibbs, KC, the lawyer representing former police Superintendent Paul Richardson.

Mr De Vincenzi’s evidence relates to another issue that the inquiry will examine, namely the RGP’s handling of the investigation into the alleged “hacking and/or sabotage” of the National Security Centralised Intelligence System and an alleged conspiracy to defraud Bland, the company that operated it.

A key issue will be his recollection of a meeting he attended at which Attorney General Michael Llamas, KC, and Mr McGrail were present. The meeting took place prior to the RGP applying for a search warrant as part of the investigation, an issue that is also a central to the inquiry’s work

Mr Llamas contends that at the meeting, he and Mr McGrail had reached “a clear understanding” that the RGP would “not take further steps” in the investigation without consulting him first, something Mr McGrail “strongly denies”.

Mr Llamas says that when the application for the search warrant was made after the meeting without consulting him, it was “in breach of that undertaking”.

Sir Peter Openshaw said Mr De Vincenzi’s evidence as to what was said at that meeting could be important to the inquiry.

“I think he should be called to give oral evidence about that,” the chairman said in the ruling.

The inquiry will now also hear oral evidence from GPA member Edgar Lavarello.

Mr Lavarello said in a statement to the inquiry that when the GPA had considered who to appoint as Commissioner of Police in 2017 – the candidates were Mr McGrail and the now Commissioner, Richard Ullger – Mr Pyle had indicated “he would not support either candidate.”

“Mr Pyle denies that he said that,” Sir Peter Openshaw noted in the ruling.

“This may have a bearing on the circumstances leading to Mr McGrail’s retirement, since, if Mr Lavarello is right, it might suggest that Mr Pyle had formed strong views about Mr McGrail even before his appointment.”

“Furthermore, Mr Lavarello can also give evidence as to whether any complaints about Mr McGrail were made to – or discussed by – the GPA, and it may be a good idea to hear from another member…as to his recollection.”

Sir Peter Openshaw is expected to make another ruling in the coming days on the extent to which the inquiry will look into the Attorney General’s decision to discontinue to prosecution arising from the investigation into the alleged sabotage of the national security system.

The chairman of the McGrail Inquiry has published another ruling, this time in connection with the Attorney General’s decision to discontinue a prosecution in January 2022.

With references to Gibraltar’s constitution, Sir Peter Openshaw points to the sound legal basis for Michael Llamas KC’s discontinuance.

At the time, Mr Llamas told GBC there were matters in the public interest which required him to end the criminal case. But he said he could not explain what those public interest reasons were, as doing so would undermine them.

However, Sir Peter Openshaw thinks these reasons could be relevant to the inquiry into the circumstances in which the former police commissioner Ian Mcgrail retired early.

The Chairman says: the Inquiry is entitled to ask the AG about his reasons for voluntarily ending a criminal case before trial; Mr Llamas would be entitled to not give any reasons, but; should he not give any reasons, then the Inquiry may be entitled to draw some inferences from that decision.

The Attorney General, Michael Llamas KC, at the opening of the legal year (September 2023)

The chairman of the McGrail Inquiry has published another ruling, this time in connection with the Attorney General’s decision to discontinue a prosecution in January 2022.

With references to Gibraltar’s constitution, Sir Peter Openshaw points to the sound legal basis for Michael Llamas KC’s discontinuance.

At the time, Mr Llamas told GBC there were matters in the public interest which required him to end the criminal case. But he said he could not explain what those public interest reasons were, as doing so would undermine them.

However, Sir Peter Openshaw thinks these reasons could be relevant to the inquiry into the circumstances in which the former police commissioner Ian Mcgrail retired early.

The Chairman says: the Inquiry is entitled to ask the AG about his reasons for voluntarily ending a criminal case before trial; Mr Llamas would be entitled to not give any reasons, but; should he not give any reasons, then the Inquiry may be entitled to draw some inferences from that decision.

The Attorney General, Michael Llamas KC, at the opening of the legal year (September 2023)

Sir Peter Openshaw, the chairman of the McGrail Inquiry, said the reasons why Attorney General Michael Llamas, KC, discontinued a criminal case in January 2022 “might be relevant” to the work of the inquiry, but that he was entitled in law not to disclose them.

In a judgement published last week, the retired UK judge said the Constitution permitted the Attorney General to be asked about his decision, but also entitled him to refuse to answer the question.

However, Sir Peter said that even if Mr Llamas refused to give his reasons, the inquiry chairman would be able to “draw such inferences as are appropriate”.

The Inquiry is tasked with probing the reasons and circumstances leading to the controversial early retirement in June 2020 of former police Commissioner Ian McGrail, after a 36-year career and halfway through his term in the top post at the Royal Gibraltar Police.

Among the list of issues that the Inquiry will investigate is the RGP’s handling of the investigation into the alleged “hacking and/or sabotage” of the National Security Centralised Intelligence System and an alleged conspiracy to defraud Bland, the company that operated it.

In January 2022, Mr Llamas entered a ‘nolle prosequi’ that discontinued the prosecution arising from that investigation.

At the time, Mr Llamas said he had taken the step because of “matters in the wider public interest”, adding that to explain his reasoning in any further detail would defeat the decision to discontinue the case.

At its last preliminary hearing, the inquiry heard submissions from lawyers as to whether it was relevant to its work to know what the Attorney General’s reasons were, and whether this was within the scope of its mandate.

At the heart of the issue is determining whether the Attorney General’s decision was in any way relevant to the reasons why the Chief Minister, Fabian Picardo, and the then interim Governor Nick Pyle lost confidence in Mr McGrail as Commissioner.

Lawyers for Mr McGrail have argued that the Chief Minister “… triggered and then directed the events which forced Mr McGrail to take early retirement”, and that he was “potentially implicated” in the investigation into the alleged conspiracy.

Lawyers for the Chief Minister have robustly denied those allegations and say the reasons why the Attorney General discontinued the prosecution were unrelated to Mr McGrail’s retirement and therefore not relevant.

Sir Peter Openshaw said that without hearing all the evidence that will come before the inquiry, he could not say whether the reasons for discontinuing the prosecution were or were not relevant.

Having considered the different submissions, Sir Peter Openshaw set out his decision in a 13-page judgement published last week.

“In my opinion, the Constitution permits the Attorney General to be asked why he discontinued the prosecution, but he is entitled to refuse to answer the question,” he said in the judgement.

“Furthermore, he cannot be compelled to disclose documents relating to the reasons which he had.”

“If I had ruled against the Government on this point, it would have been open to them to make an application on the grounds of public interest immunity that the Attorney General need not give the reasons for discontinuance because it would damage some vital national interest but this situation does not arise because I have accepted the Government’s argument that he is not obliged to answer the question pursuant to the Constitution.”

“In my opinion, the application of this principle does not blunt the efficacy of judicial supervision of the decision of the Attorney General because, even if he refuses to give reasons, I can draw such inferences as are appropriate…”

Lawyers for the Attorney General had told the inquiry that Mr Llamas was “able, ready and willing” to provide Sir Peter Openshaw “in private, and subject to continuing confidentiality” the reasons why he discontinued the prosecution.

But the inquiry chairman, while grateful for the proposal, said hearing the Attorney General’s reasons in secret “would cause far more problems that it would solve”.

“The best course is to proceed and for me to hear the evidence and then to consider what, if any, inferences I can properly draw,” he said.

22 police whistle-blowers say those who have come forward are being punished for speaking out.

They accuse the Royal Gibraltar Police of ongoing persecution and oppression.

A letter presented to the Governor and Police Authority on their behalf calls for an independent inquiry into their disclosures.

The letter has been made available to the public; it says this is to protect the whistleblowers, and because the public has a right to know.

Former Chairman of the Police Federation, Maurice Morello, handed the letter in at the Convent, as well as to the Police Authority.

In a statement to GBC, he said these officers had left their cherished careers in policing in order to come forward and have been targeted as a result.

He says the letter is unsigned to protect their identities, but vouches that it was drafted by them and endorsed by all of them.

The letter says eight have been arrested, with a further five interdicted - but that no charges have been brought.

It says whistleblowers have made statements allegedly disclosing serious criminal offences and misconduct, alleging corruption and public harm.

It describes these arrests as arbitrary and meant to silence, intimidate and punish the very people who have informed on the force's allegedly unlawful activity.

The whistleblowers came forward to give evidence to the McGrail Inquiry, which is looking into the circumstances in which the former police commissioner retired early in 2020.

The chairman of the Inquiry has said the main hearing will look at any complaints made by the Police Federation to the Police Authority about Ian McGrail.

The inquiry will also look at any allegations there may or may not have been of bullying or intimidation by Mr McGrail discussed by the Police Authority.

But it will not be dealing with any allegations or complaints made against Mr McGrail during his time as commissioner, unless they were part of discussions between the then Governor Nick Pyle, and the Gibraltar Police Authority.

That may be a contributing factor to the letter.

It claims there has been no meaningful or independent investigation of their disclosures, including any relating to senior ranking officers.

It alleges there is a conflict of interest as Senior Investigating Officer, John McVea, is a sworn-in RGP officer and reports directly to the Commissioner of Police.

It calls on the Governor to exercise his constitutional responsibility to ensure the police force is in "good and lawful order" - by taking the whistleblowers' disclosures all the way to the UK government.

It asks Sir David Steel to initiate a process for an independent inquiry or criminal investigation by an external force, under the oversight of the Home Office.

The letter also calls for protection and support for those who've come forward.

RESPONSES TO LETTER

The Governor has confirmed to GBC he has received and read the letter.

A spokesperson for his office said while the letter is unsigned and with no correspondence address, Sir David Steel will consider the matters raised before deciding on any response.

The RGP said it will not comment on the letter or any related ongoing criminal investigations.

GBC has also reached out to the Police Authority for comment.

The Convent has released the following statement this evening about the letter sent to the Governor last week about the RGP:

“On 24th November 2023 His Excellency the Governor received an unsigned and unaddressed letter purporting to be from “Whistle blowers of the Royal Gibraltar Police supported by the Former Chairman and Secretary of the Gibraltar Police Federation”.

“That letter, released into the public domain by the authors, called on The Governor to establish an independent inquiry / criminal investigation into various matters regarding the Royal Gibraltar Police.

“The evidential threshold for the Governor to take any action, constitutionally or otherwise, is especially high. While continuing to give proper consideration to the matters raised, the nature of the allegations made in the letter make it inappropriate for him to make any further public comment at this time.”

A little more detail was found in these two articles:

Royal Gibraltar Police Interdicts Four Officers Amid Whistleblower Allegations

Allegations of Persecution and Oppression

21 police whistle-blowers have accused the Royal Gibraltar Police of ongoing persecution and oppression, alleging they are being punished for speaking out. They have called for an independent inquiry into their disclosures with a letter presented to the Governor and Police Authority. The letter, made public for the protection of the whistleblowers and the public’s right to know, was handed in at the Convent and to the Police Authority by Maurice Morello, former Chairman of the Police Federation.

Arbitrary Arrests and the McGrail Inquiry

The letter described the arrests as arbitrary, intended to silence, intimidate, and punish those who have exposed alleged unlawful activities within the force. The whistle-blowers had initially come forward to provide evidence to the McGrail Inquiry, examining the circumstances that led to the early retirement of the former police commissioner in 2020.

Call for Independent Inquiry

Current, retired, and former members of the Royal Gibraltar Police who have made ‘whistleblower’ statements concerning alleged criminal offences and misconduct within the force’s current senior management and culture have written to the Governor requesting an “independent inquiry/criminal investigation” by a UK Home Office force.

Police whistleblowers say they are being punished by the RGP

Totally 21 police whistleblowers admitted that they were punished for reporting them and accusing the Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP) of continued harassment and oppression. Because of this, they presented a letter to the Governor, David Steel, and the Police Authority called for an independent investigation into their complaints.

The former president of the Police Federation, Maurice Morello, delivered the letter. Similarly, he said that these agents left their police careers to report and that, as a result, they target of attacks.

The complainants appeared to give evidence to the McGrail investigation which studied the circumstances under which the former police commissioner retired in early 2020.

It should be noted that the case of the early retirement of former commissioner Ian McGrail in June 2020 it is under investigation, because the existence of pressure from the Picardo Executive is explained that started suspicion of alleged corruption at the highest level of local administration.

Regarding the letter, he indicated that it was not signed to protect their identities, but he assured that it was written by them and supported by all of them.

An inspector in the Royal Gibraltar Police has been charged with misconduct in public office, the force said in a statement on Wednesday.

Inspector Sean Picton, 35, also faces a charge of unauthorised access to computer material.

He is currently interdicted.

In connection with the same investigation, a former RGP officer, Anthony Bolaños, 36, was charged with aiding and abetting misconduct in public office.

Both men will appear before the Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

8th March 2024

The Gibraltar Government said on Friday it had “no intention” of stopping the McGrail Inquiry, after it published draft legislation which, once enacted, would give it the powers to do so.

No.6 Convent Place was responding to questions from this newspaper after it published a Bill for new legislation governing public inquiries, in a move that will change the legal framework for the McGrail Inquiry due to start in April.

The Inquiries Bill 2024 largely mirrors UK law and, No.6 Convent Place said, seeks to modernise Gibraltar’s existing legislation dating back to 1888.

But its timing so close to the start of the McGrail Inquiry has raised questions as to the reason for the decision to publish the Bill now.

Normally a period of six weeks would have to elapse before a Bill is debated in Parliament.

But the Gibraltar Government indicated that it intends to proceed with the Bill and pass it during next week’s session of Parliament under powers for urgent legislation.

The Governor, who No.6 Convent Place said had been consulted prior to publication of the Bill, will also have to assent before the legislation can be enacted.

“This legislation is an almost identical carbon copy, word for word, of the UK Inquiries Act with changes only as necessary for the local Gibraltar Constitutional context,” said a spokesperson for No.6 Convent Place.

“The UK Act contains the same provisions as to the ending of inquiries.”

“The Government is making these changes now to ensure that all current - including the McGrail Inquiry - and future inquiries benefit from this more modern piece of legislation.”

DETAILED FRAMEWORK

The Bill sets outs a detailed legislative framework for the conduct of public inquiries.

It includes provisions to convert an inquiry under the old legislation into one under the new Act, once it is in place.

In order to take this step, the Government must first consult with the inquiry chairman, who in the case of the McGrail Inquiry is retired UK judge Sir Peter Openshaw.

It must also secure the consent of the person who convened the original inquiry, which in the case of the McGrail Inquiry would under Gibraltar law be the Governor, Vice Admiral Sir David Steel.

The Bill also includes a provision for the Government to end or suspend an inquiry by notice and with reasons after prior consultation with the chairman, even if an inquiry has not yet concluded.

That provision caused alarm for many people amid rife speculation that publication of the Bill was a precursor to the Government stopping the McGrail Inquiry.

The McGrail Inquiry is tasked with probing the reasons and circumstances leading to the controversial early retirement in June 2020 of former police Commissioner Ian McGrail, after a 36-year career and halfway through his term in the top post at the Royal Gibraltar Police.

In preliminary hearings, Mr McGrail’s lawyers alleged “misconduct and corruption” at the highest levels of government, insisting Mr McGrail was “muscled out” after being placed under huge pressure over the conduct of a live criminal investigation.

Those allegations were “denied and roundly rejected” by lawyers for the Government parties, who said Mr McGrail retired because he knew he had lost the confidence not just of the Chief Minister but, crucially, of the then Governor, who was the only person with the power to ask him to resign.

In a statement issued on Friday through his lawyer Charles Gomez, Mr McGrail said he was concerned by the timing of the Bill and in particular the powers to suspend or terminate it, “given that several of the issues which the Inquiry is looking into relate to the behaviour of Government officials, most notably the Chief Minister”.

“Mr McGrail will strongly contest any attempts by those being investigated to prevent the Inquiry from proceeding by the use of new and hitherto unannounced statutory powers, akin to the controversial power to terminate legal proceedings by way of nolle prosequi, which has already been used in relation to a related police investigation,” the statement said.

And it added: “It is essential that the Inquiry proceeds and is allowed to proceed without the risk of the Government using the powers, which it wants to bestow upon itself, to suspend or terminate the Inquiry.”

Asked specifically about this point by the Chronicle, the Gibraltar Government’s response was unambiguous.

“The Government has no intention of stopping this inquiry,” a spokesperson for No.6 Convent Place told this newspaper.

The powers to suspend or terminate an inquiry were “carbon copied” from UK legislation, the spokesperson stressed.

CONSULTATION

On Friday, the legal team for the McGrail Inquiry said it had not been consulted ahead of publication of the Bill.

“The Inquiry is aware of the Inquiries Bill 2024, published by the Gibraltar Government yesterday [meaning Thursday],” a spokesperson for counsel to the McGrail Inquiry told the Chronicle.

“The Inquiry was not consulted on the Bill, but will provide comment - if necessary - at the appropriate juncture.”

The Gibraltar Government said it had consulted the Governor prior to publication of the Bill, but not the McGrail Inquiry chairman or legal team.

“The Government did not consider it appropriate to seek to communicate with the McGrail Inquiry Commissioner as this modernisation of the law is not specific to this Inquiry, although it will be the first to benefit from it,” the spokesperson for No.6 said.

The spokesperson said the Government was acting “properly and in good faith” in the interest of the McGrail Inquiry and future inquiries.

The new legislation, the spokesperson added, provided more powers to an inquiry chairman and reflected modern UK practice on which there were ample textbooks and guidance for the running of an inquiry.

The Bill published on Thursday includes too provisions allowing for the Government or the Financial Services Commission to apply to the inquiry to restrict from the public information that could risk damage to Gibraltar’s economic interests.

In assessing such an application, an inquiry must balance that risk against the public interest.

The Bill sets out a framework for the conduct of inquiry hearings and the collection and publication of evidence, including mechanisms for handling privileged and sensitive information.

The explanatory memorandum of the Bill states that it replicates the provisions of the UK’s Inquiries Act 2005, “…excluding provisions in the UK Act dealing with the powers of the devolved administrations, which have no application or relevance to Gibraltar, and also excluding provisions in the UK Act that empower individual Ministers to cause inquiries to be held in relation to matters for which the Minister has ministerial responsibility.”

“The Bill preserves the present position under the Commissions of Inquiry Act whereby inquiries are caused to be held by the Government.”