UK man climbs the convent to protest for homeless rights in Gibraltar

I was living on the streets of Spain after receiving an eviction notice from my landlord Mike Buckley see website https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/.../mike-buckley... I found myself with a choice of being on the cold streets of Manchester or Spain naturally I chose to take a one way ticket to Spain. Unfortunately my passport had been ripped while sleeping in an abandoned house in Benidorm forcing me to cycle some 700 km's from Benidorm to Gibraltar along the eastern coast of Spain. When I arrived at border control in British Gibraltar the Immigration refused to allow me to enter quoting my identification (passport) was invalid because it was ripped/damaged. Despite being a British Citizen I was told to go away return back to Spain. I was tired and having spent eight days cycling eating from bins I was upset to hear I was not welcome into British Gibraltar. I can speak basic Spanish but English is my first language despite this I was still refused entry I was not speaking in a foreign middle eastern tongue but in plain English. Can the Immigration Officer's not exercise common sense? I decided to cycle into Gibraltar against the decision of the British Immigration who had refused my entry and having entered against the decision of the immigration I was subsequently arrested in front of St Mary the Crowned Church in Gibraltar. I was taken to New Mole House Police Station spending the night in the cells before being brought before the Gibraltar Magistrates Courts where I was then sent to Prison for five weeks. After the five weeks had passed I was then released with £5 from Gibraltar Prison given my bicycle returning me to the streets with no where to go. I then went to enquire of the nearest homeless hostel and they did not have a homeless shelter in Gibraltar. So I was left on the streets of Gibraltar with £5 to my name I found myself sleeping in a tent on the beach when one night I encountered smugglers smuggling marijuana from Morocco. They wanted to know who I was and why was I sleeping on the beach. It was an awkward moment. I visited the Gibraltar Chronicle (Newspaper) Ltd, Watergate House, Line Wall Road, Gibraltar GX11 1AA they printed off the nearest homeless hostel which is in La Linea de la Conception called Brittania House. I did not have a valid passport as it was ripped so now I have spent five weeks in prison treated like a criminal given £5 placed back onto the street then told I needed to re-enter Spain illegally despite not being Spanish. Gibraltar had no homeless hostel. I spoke to lots of people in Gibraltar and I learned that there were many people living in abandoned houses on the rock, sofa surfing and often felt forced out of Gibraltar into Spain because there was no where to go in Gibraltar. I was given a court date to re-appear so I embarked upon my first Camino de Santiago travelling over 2000 kilometres by bicycle from Gibraltar across Southern Spain entering Portugal visiting Sagres then heading North through Portugal entering Spain until I arrived at Santiago de Compostela. Then I returned back to Gibraltar in time for my next court date at the Gibraltar magistrates. I found a cabin that had been abandoned on Western Beach from where I set up Shelterwise - Helping the homeless. My charity number in the United Kingdom through the Charity Commission is 1163050. I began to serve the poor and the homeless of Gibraltar and as time went by my vision grew. It is illegal to be homeless and sleep on the streets of Gibraltar as it is considered to be Crown Property. Gerhard Simmet from Germany had been homeless on the streets of Gibraltar for 20 years when I met him. He was my first homeless client. I got a bed from the local church on Devils Tower Road and took the old man off the street giving him a bed we shared the wooden cabin together for four months. Shelterwise had now officially begun. I now came into direct opposition with the government of Gibraltar because I began to raise awareness of helping the homeless and was aiming to create a homeless hostel. Every time I went out to fund raise I began to experience problems with the police who started to arrest me and present me before the Magistrates Courts. Who then sent me to prison. Every week I was arrested and treated like a criminal for standing up for the homeless, for the poor and for the people felt had no voice. The more I raised my head above the parapet the more that I was assaulted by the authorities being arrested and sent to prison for three months but always found NOT guilty released without charge. It was frustrating and I was fed up being treated inhumanely simply because I was poor and stood for homeless. I was seen as a disease and by sending me to prison the authorities were hoping to lead me into drug dealing. So that I could be controlled and silenced. Fortunately I did not fall into this trap. I was arrested for being in bin bags, in a television box called Poverty Box, sitting on a toilet, climbing on the convent and I even found three police officers stealing my Shelterwise - helping the homeless signs. Its ok for the police to steal from the people and get away with it but when I steal a sandwich to feed my hunger I am considered to be a thief. The article UK man climbs the Convent to protest for homeless rights in Gibraltar is not accurate because I did not just climb on the Convent but actually scaled the Kings Chapel which is even higher then the Convent. So the actual reporting is not true and needs to be amended. Also present during this homeless event was Tony Farrell from https://defending-gibraltar.net/ he was featured on the Police video which has now been removed from Youtube. I like Tony Farrell, I share some but not all his views and I consider myself to be his friend. Instead of highlighting the flaws within Gibraltar it appears that anyone such as myself who stands up to point out injustice or see's an opportunity to help out where help is truly required those who sit in positions of power brand people like myself as frauds and refer to events designed to gain awareness as protests. Protest has negative connotation's I prefer to call them educational events to highlight and raise awareness of important issues and matters of the present day. One lady who owns a business in Gibraltar told me that she was homeless 19 years ago she was open at first but the next time I spoke to her she was too fearful to speak out openly to me about her real feelings on the matter of homelessness because she feared that she could lose her business simply for speaking the truth. Governments often rule in fear the more you have the more people become fearful and controlled by the state and I witnessed this was no different in Gibraltar. Those in leadership wanted to continue to send the homeless across the border into Spain to brush out or sweep them away over the border to let the Spanish deal with the rejected British Gibraltarian's homeless. As a British Citizen in Gibraltar was I not entitled to receive support when I was in need but to force me across the border into Spain is not acceptable. I wanted to create something for the homeless as I had identified a flaw or a gap which needed to be filled and at that time I was willing to get my hands dirty and muck in to do my bit. But when your being arrested for fraud collecting £15 despite having a registered charity number 116 30 50. When I climbed on top of the Convent and the Kings Chapel built in 1560 no one was hurt and no property was damaged. I climbed and I even climbed down from the roof tops. The article mentions that I broke the lockdown, well I was living in a wooden cabin on Western Street where we did not have access to a shower or toilet so every time I went to the toilet I had to break the lock down conditions to visit the nearest petrol station to use the toilet facilities. Clearly the homeless can not win your charged for breaking lock down, charged for being homeless, charged for begging when often you have no access to money and when the Gibraltar government provide no assistance in housing those who fall through the net. Why should charities be so heavily controlled by governments do we the people not have the right to help who we wish to help. So when a government official says do not help this man or woman or even feed them, do I not have the right to help them if I want to help them. Why should we give control of charities to the government. In my opinion when we lose our freedom to exercise compassion we no longer have a charity.UK man climbs the convent in Gibraltar

8 Likes

Thank you Samuel for such a powerful story about the real situation in Gibraltar and the plight of the homeless.

I was aware of your climb when it happened; and knew you were fighting for the homeless. Thank you!

There is still some footage of your stance on GBC:

42 year old man arrested after climbing onto roof of Convent to raise...

Tony is featured in some of the footage as you mentioned.

Here is the accompanying article on GBC -

It is written in God's Law to help the homeless and poor:

Duet 15:7 If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the "I AM" thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:
15:8 But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, [in that] which he wanteth.
15:9 Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye be evil against thy poor brother, and thou givest him nought; and he cry unto the "I AM" against thee, and it be sin unto thee.
15:10 Thou shalt surely give him, and thine heart shall not be grieved when thou givest unto him: because that for this thing the "I AM" thy God shall bless thee in all thy works, and in all that thou puttest thine hand unto.
15:11 For [otherwise] the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.

Lev. 25:35 And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: [yea, though he be] a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Dear @samuellloyd1,

Thank-you, nice post. :rose:

Extending a warm welcome.

Lev. 23:22 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I [am] the "I AM" your God.

Matthew 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink?
25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]?
25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.
25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into Everlasting Fire, prepared for the devil and his angels (YOU that do not DO God's Will):
25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.
25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into Life Eternal.

Romans 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head (burn out his enmity).
12:21 Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Luke 14:12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor [thy] rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
14:13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:

James 2:6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men OPPRESS YOU, and draw you before the Judgment Seats? [the poor do not..

Proverbs 22:9 He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.
14:13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
14:15 And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed [is] he that shall eat bread in The Kingdom of God.

Job 22:7 Thou hast not given water to the weary to drink, and thou hast withholden bread from the hungry.

Sura 89:18. Nor do ye encourage one another to feed the poor!-
89:19. And ye devour inheritance - all with greed,
89:20. And ye love wealth with inordinate love!
89:21. Nay! When the earth is pounded to powder,
89:22. And thy Lord cometh, and His angels, rank upon rank,
89:23. And Hell-Fire, that Day, is brought (face to face),- on that Day will man remember, but how will that remembrance profit him?
89:24. He will say: "Ah! Would that I had sent forth (Good Deeds) for (this) my (Future) Life!"

1 Like

The video footage is now on DGTV.

4 Likes

Load of baloney! Court rules on Christians feeding homeless

Appeal promised in dispute over help being offered to needy

Published October 12, 2022

Two Christian pastors are promising that they will dispute a ruling from the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that affirmed a city's decision to ban the free distribution of bologna sandwiches to the homeless.

The pastors were cited by police while they were handing out sandwiches and bottles of water to the homeless in 2018.

The city banned that activity, and while the city opted not to prosecute them, they sued over an alleged violation to their rights.
The appeals court said the city could do what it did.

The ruling said the appellants, while handing out food, "sometimes also shared religious literature with the recipients of the food."

St. Louis Police Officer Stephen Ogunjobi saw the pastors, Raymond Redlich and Christopher Ohnimus, handing out the food and cited them for distributing food without a city permit.

The city's object in its ban was to prevent the distribution of "sandwiches containing MEAT, POULTRY, EGGS, or FISH" by temporary food establishments.

The pastors then sought a court ruling that the ban violated their Free Exercise and Free Speech rights.

The city shortly later amended its code to allow a "Charitable Feeding Temporary Food Permit" at a reduced cost and more provisions, such as the 2017 Edition of the National Food Code.

The court said, "Appellants do not suggest that the city lacks the constitutional power to enact the ordinance, nor do they contend that the city’s interest in preventing the spread of foodborne illness is related to suppression of free expression. Instead, appellants argue that the ordinance does not further an important or substantial government interest and that the Ordinance is not sufficiently tailored to the asserted interest. We disagree."

According to Courthouse News, the pastors are from New Life Christian Evangelical Center.

Earlier in the process, U.S. Magistrate Judge Nanette A. Baker granted the city's motion to dismiss.

David Roland, litigation director for the Freedom Center of Missouri, which represented Redlich and Ohnimus, told Courthouse News on Wednesday the duo will seek a rehearing before the panel and, if necessary, before the full Eighth Circuit.

He explained he believes the court "made a couple of significant errors."

1 Like

They have been closing down many who feed the homeless.

Arresting them. It's a sad fact.

Perhaps with the bologna it was a blessing in disguise

bologna

Along the same line, they canceled people from volunteering to clean up after hurricane, if you were not registered with a church.

1 Like