The Dangers of digital identities and digital bank currencies

DeSantis warns of government digital currency

John Stossel talks to Florida governor about the Feds' plan for centralized system

Published May 10, 2023 at 7:00pm

President Joe Biden and the media are excited about something new: a Central Bank Digital Currency, or CBDC. It's a currency like Bitcoin, except controlled by the federal government.

Not everyone is a fan.

"Sometimes government does things that may appear to be benevolent but really are kind of like a wolf in sheep's clothing," says Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in my new video. "This is a wolf coming as a wolf."

Advertisement - story continues below

For months, I've tried to get DeSantis to sit down for an interview. What finally got him to agree was government's plan for digital money.

"If you don't trust central authority," DeSantis says, "then you should see this immediately as something that is very problematic."

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on the Dangers of a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC)

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on the Dangers of a Central Bank Digital Currency...

The federal government and the media are excited about something new: a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC). “I think it would be a total disaster,” Gov. Ron DeSantis tells me. ———— To get our new weekly video from Stossel TV, sign up here: https://www.johnstossel.com/#subscribe ———— A CBDC would be a cryptocurrency, one controlled by the federal government. The Biden administration says a CBDC would “protect consumers, investors...and the environment.” DeSantis tells me, "Sometimes government does things that may appear to be benevolent but really are kind of like a wolf in sheep's clothing. This is a wolf coming as a wolf.” DeSantis says the government will use digital money to spy on us and control our behavior. “'You're filling up too much [with gas]. Wait a minute--Climate change… You can't be doing that! …You bought another firearm? No, no, no.'" He's is so upset about this new plan, he just persuaded Florida’s legislature to ban the CBDC's use in Florida.

1 Like