Satellite images show China has built mock-ups of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier and destroyer in its northwestern desert, possibly for practice for a future naval clash as tensions rise between the nations.
The images captured by Colorado-based satellite imagery company Maxar Technologies dated Sunday show the outlines of a U.S. aircraft carrier and at least one destroyer sitting on a railway track.
More at link.
Meanwhile the US Navy is crashing nuclear-powers attack submarines.
US Navy FIRES USS Connecticut Captain, his second-in-command and Chief of the Boat after $3.1bn nuclear-powered attack submarine collided with 'uncharted seamount' in South China Sea
- The US Navy has fired the Commanding Officer (CO), Executive Officer (XO) and Chief of the Boat (COB) for 'loss of confidence' after submarine crash
- On October 2 the USS Connecticut collided with an 'uncharted seamount' in the South China Sea during soaring tensions with China
- A seamount is a mountain which rises from the ocean floor
- CO Cmdr Cameron Aljilani, XO Lt Cmdr Patrick Cashin and COB Cory Rodgers were relieved of their positions on Wednesday
- A statement from the Navy said that the crash, which injured 11 crew members, could have been prevented with 'sound judgement (and) decision-making'
- But the Navy has determined that there was no foul play in the incident
- Navy remains on high alert in the South China Sea amid threats from Beijing
Continues at the link.