Nahum

1:1 The burden of Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite.
1:2 God [is] jealous, and the "I AM" revengeth; the "I AM" revengeth, and [is] furious; the "I AM" will take vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserveth [wrath] for His enemies.
1:3 The "I AM" [is] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [the wicked]: the "I AM" hath His way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [are] the dust of His feet.
1:4 He rebuketh the sea, and maketh it dry, and drieth up all the rivers: Bashan languisheth, and Carmel, and the flower of Lebanon languisheth.
1:5 The mountains quake at Him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at His presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein.
1:6 Who can stand before His indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of His anger? His fury is poured out like fire , and the rocks are thrown down by Him.
1:7 The "I AM" [is] good, a strong-hold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him.
1:8 But with an over-running flood He will make an utter end of the place thereof, and darkness shall pursue His enemies.
1:9 What do ye imagine against the "I AM"? He will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.
1:10 For while [they be] folden together [as] thorns, and while they are drunken [as] drunkards, they shall be devoured as stubble fully dry.
1:11 There is [one] come out of thee, that imagineth evil against the "I AM", a wicked counsellor.
1:12 Thus saith the "I AM"; Though [they be] quiet, and likewise many, yet thus shall they be cut down, when he shall pass through. Though I have afflicted thee, I will afflict thee no more.
1:13 For now will I break his yoke from off thee, and will burst thy bonds asunder.
1:14 And the "I AM" hath given a Commandment concerning thee, [that] no more of thy name be sown: out of the house of thy gods will I cut off the graven image and the molten image: I will make thy grave; for thou art vile.
1:15 Behold upon the mountains the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace! O Judah, keep thy solemn feasts, perform thy vows: for the wicked shall no more pass through thee; he is utterly cut off.
2:1 He that dasheth in pieces is come up before thy face: keep the munition, watch the way, make [thy] loins strong, fortify [thy] power mightily.
2:2 For the "I AM" hath turned away the excellency of Jacob, as the excellency of Israel: for the emptiers have emptied them out, and marred their vine branches.
2:3 The shield of his mighty men is made red, the valiant men [are] in scarlet: the chariots [shall be] with flaming torches in the day of his preparation, and the fir trees shall be terribly shaken.
2:4 The chariots shall rage in the streets, they shall justle one against another in the broad ways: they shall seem like torches, they shall run like the lightnings.
2:5 He shall recount his gallants: they shall stumble in their walk; they shall make haste to the wall thereof, and the defence shall be prepared.
2:6 The gates of the rivers shall be opened, and the palace shall be dissolved.
2:7 And that which was established shall be led away captive, she shall be brought up, and her maids shall lead [her] as with the voice of doves, beating upon their breasts.
2:8 But Nineveh [is] of old like a pool of water: yet they shall flee away. Stand, stand, [shall they cry]; but none shall look back.
2:9 Take ye the spoil of silver, take the spoil of gold: for [there is] none end of the store [and] glory out of all the pleasant furniture.
2:10 She is empty, and void, and waste: and the heart melteth, and the knees smite together, and much pain [is] in all loins, and the faces of them all gather blackness.
2:11 Where [is] the dwelling of the lions, and the feedingplace of the young lions, where the lion, [even] the old lion, walked, [and] the lion's whelp, and none made [them] afraid?
2:12 The lion did tear in pieces enough for his whelps, and strangled for his lionesses, and filled his holes with prey, and his dens with torn flesh.
2:13 Behold, I [am] against thee, saith the "I AM" Lord of hosts, and I will burn her chariots in the smoke, and the sword shall devour thy young lions: and I will cut off thy prey from the earth, and the voice of thy messengers shall no more be heard.
3:1 Woe to the bloody city! it [is] all full of lies [and] robbery; the prey departeth not;
3:2 The noise of a whip, and the noise of the rattling of the wheels, and of the pransing horses, and of the bounding chariots.
3:3 The horseman lifteth up both the bright sword and the glittering spear: and [there is] a multitude of slain, and a great number of carcases; and [there is] none end of [their] corpses; they stumble upon their corpses:
3:4 Because of the multitude of the whoredoms of the wellfavoured harlot, the mistress of witchcrafts, that selleth nations through her whoredoms, and families through her witchcrafts.
3:5 Behold, I [am] against thee, saith the "I AM" Lord of hosts; and I will discover thy skirts upon thy face, and I will show the nations thy nakedness, and the kingdoms thy shame.
3:6 And I will cast abominable filth upon thee, and make thee vile, and will set thee as a gazingstock.
3:7 And it shall come to pass, [that] all they that look upon thee shall flee from thee, and say, Nineveh is laid waste: who will bemoan her? whence shall I seek comforters for thee?
3:8 Art thou better than populous No, that was situated among the rivers, [that had] the waters round about it, whose rampart [was] the sea, [and] her wall [was] from the sea?
3:9 Ethiopia and Egypt [were] her strength, and [it was] infinite; Put and Lubim were thy helpers.
3:10 Yet [was] she carried away, she went into captivity: her young children also were dashed in pieces at the top of all the streets: and they cast lots for her honourable men, and all her great men were bound in chains.
3:11 Thou also shalt be drunken: thou shalt be hid, thou also shalt seek strength because of the enemy.
3:12 All thy strong-holds [shall be like] fig trees with the firstripe figs: if they be shaken, they shall even fall into the mouth of the eater.
3:13 Behold, thy people in the midst of thee [are] women: the gates of thy land shall be set wide open unto thine enemies: the fire shall devour thy bars.
3:14 Draw thee waters for the siege, fortify thy strong-holds: go into clay, and tread the morter, make strong the brick-kiln.
3:15 There shall the fire devour thee; the sword shall cut thee off, it shall eat thee up like the cankerworm: make thyself many as the cankerworm, make thyself many as the locusts.
3:16 Thou hast multiplied thy merchants above the stars of heaven: the cankerworm spoileth, and flieth away.
3:17 Thy crowned [are] as the locusts, and thy captains as the great grasshoppers, which camp in the hedges in the cold day, [but] when the sun ariseth they flee away, and their place is not known where they [are].
3:18 Thy shepherds slumber, O king of Assyria: thy valiant ones shall dwell [in the dust]: thy people is scattered upon the mountains, and no man gathereth [them].
3:19 [There is] no healing of thy bruise; thy wound is grievous: all that hear the report about thee shall clap the hands over thee: for upon whom hath not thy wickedness passed continually? King of kings' Bible - Nahum

7 Likes