La Linea gears up to make itself heard in Friday’s Brexit demo

The Mayor of La Línea, Juan Franco, is focusing his energy this week on Friday’s mass demonstration against the backdrop of ongoing treaty talks.

Like Gibraltar, La Linea has faced an uncertain future since the Brexit referendum in 2016.

But the city feels sidelined in many ways, fearful that its unique circumstances and relationship with Gibraltar are not being properly addressed by Madrid.

Now it wants to make its voice heard and put a spotlight on the critical need to reach a treaty that guarantees frontier fluidity vital to communities on both sides of the border, while having careful regard on its impact in La Linea.

“The moment has come,” Mr Franco said in an interview with the Chronicle.

The march, triggered by the recent reciprocal tightening of immigration controls that collapsed border traffic, will start at 8pm in the Plaza Fariña before heading to the frontier.

But La Linea’s mayor said utmost care would be taken to ensure border fluidity is not impacted by the march.

And he added: “If Gibraltarians come to the demo, they will be very welcome.”

Speaking to this newspaper, Mr Franco described how the city council is preparing the march on October 25.

Q. What support are you relying on for the demonstration?

A. The meeting we held on Tuesday received a massive response. There were representatives from the Mesa de Trabajo, the Federación de Vecinos, sports clubs, trade unions, political parties, parents' associations and the [church] fraternities, all of whom have shown their support. There were some points of criticism, but they agreed with the demonstration.

Q. You gave a very critical press conference following the collapse at the border and you have since called this march. Have there been any new contacts with the Ministry for Foreign Affairs in Madrid or the European Union since then?

A. There are no new developments in that regard. I have had contact with the Chief Minister of Gibraltar, Fabian Picardo; with the Board of Spokespersons of La Línea city council and with some entities and groups. But I have no formal knowledge of any further meetings this week. It is important to stress that we have already been authorised to proceed, and that we are strongly insisting on guaranteeing security to ensure neither the road nor the border itself are cut off during the march. To this end, municipal and national police officers will be deployed, and I hope that the rally will be a success.

Q. What did you talk about with the Chief Minister?

A. We discussed the matter. He told me about the repercussions of some of my interviews in the media, such as The Telegraph; also on Monday I was on GBC's City Pulse programme. As always, there was a good dialogue with the Chief Minister. He told me that he fully understands our concerns and reasons for the demonstration. I made it clear to him again that this demonstration is not against anybody, it is simply a demand aimed at our institutions. In fact, great care will be taken to ensure that there is not the slightest problem with border transit. We are not going to stage any sit-ins or anything of the sort.

Q. So there will be no interference in the flow of traffic.

A. I want to make it clear once again that there will be no interference in the flow of traffic in and out of Gibraltar, either to vehicular traffic or to pedestrians. And there are security arrangements in place in case some fool decides to make a fool of himself. And I insist that we are appealing to our governments, the Junta de Andalucía and the Spanish state. Although perhaps the UK Government might also take note and, once and for all, reach agreement with the Spanish government. But this is a totally peaceful protest. I believe that this was the spirit of all those who attended the preparatory meeting.

Q. The concern expressed by some at the preparatory meeting as to how this demonstration might impact relations between La Línea and Gibraltar seemed remarkable.

A. Bear in mind that we are talking about a very sensitive issue. We are being very careful. The municipal police has even prepared a report stating our aims and where we plan to walk to. The demonstration will end in front of the Municipal Tourist Office. There will be no disruption of traffic. I don't want it to be misunderstood on the other side of the border. I think the interview in GBC was good, as is this one in the Chronicle, so that everybody can see the tone we are using, what we are asking for. I am sure that most of the Gibraltarian population agrees with our demands. In fact, I have had contact this week with people in Gibraltar and everybody thinks as we do. There should be no problem.

Q. At the meeting there was mention of the possibility of a simultaneous demo on the other side of the border. Did you discuss this with the Chief Minister? Do you think the Gibraltarian citizens will attend the march in La Línea?

A. Whatever they do spontaneously from Gibraltar is a matter for them, and if Gibraltarians come to the demonstration they will be very welcome. We will be grateful for the support and we will welcome them, obviously. I told the Chief Minister what we were going to do and I am not going to put pressure on him, nor do I know whether it is useful or not from his point of view. I am the Mayor of La Linea and I believe that this is the right time for the demonstration. I believe that the citizens support us and the time has come. The rest of the actions have to be evaluated in their social and political context, and it is also very complex. We have analysed it, assessed it and we have taken it forward. We have analysed the repercussions, the possible outcomes, and that is where we are.

Q. The Federación de Vecinos says you should have done more. What’s your view?

A. I respect all opinions, especially when they are made with respect, as in this case. But I do not share them. As a city council, during all this time, we have been doing our homework. We produced a document on the economic impact of Brexit on the city in 2016. An open document on the subject was agreed in 2018. And during all this time, we have had constant meetings with the Government of Gibraltar, the delegate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Campo de Gibraltar; with five foreign ministers; government delegates, territorial delegates, Brussels, Committee of the Regions. We have not stopped. If it is considered insufficient, perhaps I should have tied myself to the door of the Ministry. Some associations also called for protests and the public response was not large.

Q. Will other measures be taken after the demonstration? There has even been talk of taking up the motion on La Linea’s unique status in Congress in Madrid.

A. It has been shown that this motion is worthless. We have taken motions to plenary, in Parliament, in Congress and we are exactly the same. What I want is for the specific measures to be included in the state budget law, in a Decree Law or in a regulatory instrument with direct repercussions on our daily lives.

Q. What type of differentiated approach would you be satisfied with?

A.- There are two parallel problems here, at two levels: one, the Brexit agreement. The other is the special situation of the city. Alongside this, there is also the situation of the city council. The city council has no unemployment, no low income and no social problems. But it has an adjustment plan, limited income and not enough resources to provide proper services. The city council's situation needs to be analysed and a solution needs to be found, because it should be a driving force for the city's economy.

On the other hand, there is the city's problem, which ties in with the package of measures on training, employment and social issues that we need. We have very big and very deep social problems, which then have other repercussions that we all know about. We urgently need a special tax zone, so that companies can set up in our municipality. We have to address the special needs of civil servants in order to have better quality public services.

And we also have to address very unique situations arising from being Gibraltar’s neighbour, such as the turnover of our companies on the Rock; the 11,000 residents from La Linea who work in Gibraltar out of a total of 15,000 workers. And, above all, the future and present of pensions. This deserves proper attention and a package of measures in which Spain and Andalusia should be working side by side.

Finally, the deal. We all want an agreement, but not at any price. Because I could find that a magnificent deal for Spain, the UK and Gibraltar would be harmful for La Línea. What would happen, for example, if they were to put roads out of the airport on our fairground site, where we hope to create an industrial estate? What would happen, if the border were removed, to the price of land in La Línea?

There could be such a case of inflation that, paradoxically, the people of La Línea would not be able to buy homes, because the difference in income levels between the two territories is huge. Let's see if we are going to end up becoming a paradise for some and a nightmare for my fellow residents. This has not been analysed, because I know it is not on the agenda.

Q. You did raise this with the [Spanish foreign] minister and other authorities.

A.- It’s clear that my accent is so thick that nobody understands me. Because, for example, when I explain the autonomous city project to some authorities, in private they agree with me and in public they have called me a clown.

Q. But the autonomous city project is at a halt now, right?

A. For the moment it has come to nothing, but if there is a referendum in Catalonia, there will be a referendum in La Línea. My obligation is to look for a solution, because the day I am not mayor, I don't want to look in the mirror and say that I have betrayed my fellow residents.

Q. What will happen if the EES System comes into force in 2025?

A. We don't know when it will be but it could even be December 31. Every day I wake up scared to see what message I will find on WhatsApp.

Q. After the recent border collapse, your statements towards Mr Landaluce [PP senator and Mayor of Algeciras] were very critical.

A. I have a personal friendship with the Mayor of Algeciras, and I deeply respect him because he is in his fourth legislature. And I understand that, in the political arena, he will play his own political game. What I criticise and I cannot allow as mayor is that Brexit, a problem that affects La Linea almost entirely in the Campo, is suddenly seen as a problem for the Port of Algeciras. And not only by the Mayor, but also by the Junta’s presidency councillor Antonio Sanz.

I am grateful to Sanz for many reasons, but I am defending my position.

Neither do I agree I do not agree with the format in which I go to Madrid, or with the problems raised by other mayors in this context. I respect, support and appreciate them. But the Brexit problem is La Línea's problem, and I don't support going to Madrid with Diputación or Mancomunidad either.

I think they are doing a great job, but I had to explain things to the president of the Diputación because she is from Jerez. She didn't even know about Friday's collapse at the border, among other things because it didn't even appear in the Diario de Cádiz, because we are not on anyone's public agenda. It's not good for us to go with the rest of the mayors.

In fact, I am considering not going to the next meeting and giving a press conference in the City Hall.

I am accompanied to those meetings by some people who don't even know where Gibraltar is, or La Línea, or what Community Care is. Because their problems are different.

Q. But after your previous visit to Madrid, you said direct dialogue would be opened with the ministry.

A. I can't say anything bad about this minister [meaning Jose Manuel Albares, Spain’s Minister for Foreign Affairs]. He has always been courteous, friendly and we have a direct relationship with the Head of Cabinet. I understand that he gives me the information he can give me and that they are involved in international negotiations on a matter that has been going on for 320 years and they are not going to tell the first person who walks through the door. But if instead of 20 people at that meeting, there are two of us, things change.

Q. Finally, have you spoken to the Mayor of San Roque and Member of Parliament, Juan Carlos Ruiz Boix, about the demonstration?

A. I haven't called him because he is perfectly aware of the matter. If he wants to come, he will be welcome, but in the last year his statements have always been to accuse us. It seems unbelievable that he sees things the way he does. If he comes to La Línea, he will be welcome, as he always has been and as I have too when visiting San Roque.