Hope

Would like to share an event that happened a long time ago. It seems like it happened only yesterday. Very memorable because it was so out of the ordinary.

I used to go hiking; basically, on trails out in the country. It was something I liked to do. Not on rough or dangerous terrain, but I did it to get out into nature and be with the trees, fresh air, etc. because I lived in a heavily populated city. This particular day I found myself in a predicament. I was on the trail fairly deep into the woods and I found myself without enough daylight to hike back to the starting point to leave and go home. Fortunately, I was not alone. I was with a friend and we came to the conclusion that there was one way out. Because it was supposed to be a short trip, we never planned for the situation we found ourselves in; we did not have a flashlight, etc. Just the clothes we were wearing. The one way out, before it got pitch black, was a very tall, nearly straight up and down natural rock wall (like the side of a cliff). We had no rope, nothing. I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place (literally). I could not see how I could scale that rocky wall. My friend said to me that we could do it. He was encouraging. I personally felt I did not have the capability. He said to me to take his hand and do not let go. We are going to start climbing up that wall and he told me just keep going. Keep following him and do not stop and do not let go of his hand no matter what. Just keep going. It was a really very steep rocky cliff. I do not recall feeling fear because once we started the climb, we moved so rapidly that I did not have time to be afraid. Just do. And that is what I did. I followed his simple instructions. It worked. No hitches. No falls. Not even any slips. When it was all over, I looked down at that cliff/wall and was amazed at what had occurred. Wow!

6 Likes