Government: “Work Already Underway To Ban Conversion Therapy”

Written by YGTV Team on 01 April 2022.

The Minister for Justice and Equality says it has already begun work to prohibit the practice of conversion therapy in Gibraltar.

The Government has today provided assurances to the Equality Rights Group that this work is towards bringing forward a Bill with a view to introducing relevant law before the summer. This is independent of the UK Government’s own stance on the matter.

The Minister for Justice and Equality, Samantha Sacramento, said: ‘I am proud that this Government is already working to introduce legislation to prohibit the practice of conversion therapy, which has no place in Gibraltar. The Equality Rights Group, and the public, can be reassured that work is underway to draft a Bill, with the aim to publish before the summer.’

2 Likes

Whilst in Canada -

Canada seeks to not only ban, but to criminalize "conversion therapy"

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/pl/ct-tc/index.html
The Bill proposes to create 4 new offences that would prohibit:

• causing another person to undergo conversion therapy (a hybrid offence with a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment on indictment)
  • removing a minor from Canada to undergo conversion therapy abroad (a hybrid offence with a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment on indictment)
  • profiting from conversion therapy (a hybrid offence with a maximum penalty of 2 years imprisonment on indictment)
  • promoting or advertising conversion therapy (a hybrid offence with a maximum penalty of 2 years imprisonment on indictment)

This bill would also authorize courts to order the seizure of conversion therapy advertisements or their removal from computer systems or the Internet.

1 Like

Deut. 23:1 He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the "I AM". 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the "I AM"; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the "I AM".