Exodus 21:33 - Dig a Hole; Cover It

Exod. 21:33 And if a man shall open a pit, or if a man shall dig a pit, and not cover it, and an ox or an ass fall therein;

How would this verse apply today?

If you dig a hole and do not cover it, you are actually breaking The Law. It also goes against the Second Great Commandment.

Mark 12:31 And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other COMMANDment greater than these.:

This is because if your neighbour trips/falls into the hole, he or she could be harmed. We are not to harm others.

And in that, we can also see that setting "traps" for people can also be thought of as a hole, because they can trip and hurt their bodies. Example, leaving items on the floor or path that others could trip over. Sure, there is a thing called "situational awareness" and being aware/awake to our surroundings, but it is another thing to leave "traps" (as The Lord calls them) for others to potentially fall over.

I knew of a person who was building a fence and dug a hole for a post, but left the job undone; and it rained and filled with water and a poor little hedgehog fell in the hole and drowned. Had the person followed The Law, the hedgehog would still be alive and kicking... and cute.

Let's all be mindful to cover holes and keep pathways clear.

5 Likes

This is why I like England, because even though the system isn’t the best at least people ain’t falling into holes like other nations eg Spain.

2 Likes

Exodus 21:33 And if a man shall open a pit, or if a man shall dig a pit, and not cover it, and an ox or an ass fall therein;
21:34 The owner of the pit shall make [it] good, [and] give money unto the owner of them; and the dead [beast] shall be his. King of kings' Bible - Exodus

Application:

That (above) is an interesting Law that is used as the basis for what is shown in present times as compensation. Ox and ass are animals related to work / livelihood. That which effects one's livelihood is compensated for (is made good) in reparation for the losses caused by the person; that which caused the injury effecting one's personal livelihood.

1 Like

Poor hedgehog. :hedgehog:

Thank-you @DOTS. It is common sense (one would think) to cover a hole, but not doing so happens. I like to take walks through a wildlife sanctuary, but fairly big holes were left on a path from workers who removed telephone poles in the distant past and did not fill the holes properly (or not at all). Grass has since grown in those holes making looking down and walking slowly through there necessary which is probably simply a good idea anyway. Kindness is underrated. Its effects are not always known immediately. It pays to be kind!

1 Like

More from Exodus and The Law (which is common sense and a healthy conscience):

Exodus 21:28 If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox [shall be] quit.
21:29 But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.
21:30 If there be laid on him a sum of money, then he shall give for the ransom of his life whatsoever is laid upon him.
21:31 Whether he have gored a son, or have gored a daughter, according to this Judgment shall it be done unto him.
21:32 If the ox shall push a manservant or a maidservant; he shall give unto their master thirty shekels of silver, and the ox shall be stoned. King of kings' Bible - Exodus

WATCH AMERICA GO SILENT AS HHS WHISTLEBLOWER EXPOSES "THE DARKEST SECRET" IMAGINABLE

1 Like

One thing about a hedge hog
They never give up

Many a time the fox tries to be the hedgehog, but just can't in
the longrun... and the hedgehog comes out in front.

I'd check for the fox in the hole
Cute little thing

1 Like

I know of ungrateful people who come to request for banana suckers and after uprooting they live the holes uncovered living the remaining ones uncovered at the risk of falling. Then again next time they come for more, in my heart I ask do they even have some conscious in them really?

1 Like

To cut suckers or not to cut suckers?

1 Like

They uproot suckers if one wants to transplant them to their gardens and in the process it requires digging a hole to successfully uproot them with the roots

Exactly

1 Like