Discussion on the World Situation in Biblical Terms

GALL – a traditional poison/painkiller - Matt. 27:34

There are some who might say that the Gospel accounts don’t specifically denounce pharmacy/sorcery/witchcraft/poisons/potions/”medicines”, etc., because Christ didn’t offer anything specific on this subject. Or did He?

Matthew 27:33-34
27:33 And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull,
27:34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with GALL: and when he had tasted [thereof], he would not drink.

This incident and the example it set should come as no surprise, as this too was prophesied.

Psalm 69:19-21
69:19 Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries [are] all before Thee.
69:20 Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked [for some] to take pity, but [there was] none; and for comforters, but I found none.
69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Gall is/was a bitter herb fashioned into a drug that served as both a poison and as a painkiller.

From: Strong's Greek: 5521. χολή (cholé) -- gall (a bitter herb) -

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

gall.
Feminine of an equivalent perhaps akin to the same as Chloe (from the greenish hue); "gall" or bile, i.e. (by analogy) poison or an anodyne* (wormwood, poppy, etc.) -- gall.
*an anodyne = a painkiller

So, at the most vulnerable moment, when Christ-Jesus was in great pain and facing imminent death, Christ STILL refused the poisonous painkiller, thereby setting a perfect example for everyone to follow AGAIN.

In other words, regarding pharmacy/sorcery/witchcraft/poisons/potions/”medicines”, etc., the simple message is: DON’T DO IT.

But was this Christ’s only teaching concerning pharmacy?

Matthew 15:1-6
15:1 Then came to Jesus lawyers and politicians, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the Tradition of the Elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the COMMANDment of God by your Tradition?
15:4 For God Commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
15:5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to [his] father or [his] mother, [It is] a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, [he shall be free]. Thus have ye made the Commandment of God of none effect by your Tradition (Talmud).

Christ spent an ample amount of time correcting the scribes/lawyers and pharisees/politicians on their errant beliefs, as evidenced in the passage above. The lawyers and politicians followed their traditions, i.e. their voluminous assortment of made-up rules, legislation, etc., commonly known as the Babylonian Talmud, which they invented specifically to try to circumvent God’s Law/Commandments,

The Talmud is thought by many to be just a religious text about “Jewish” religious rites and rituals. But what many may not be aware of is that the Talmud also contains pharmacy/medicine on a wide variety of medical topics, which had been practiced for hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus.

From: The Hygiene and Medicine of the Talmud, a University of Texas Presentation, 1901 | Brian Altonen, MPH, MS

The following 39 medical topics are discussed in the Talmud.
1. fevers (Ned., 41:1)
2. malaria (Git, 69:1)
3. malignant throat trouble, probably diphtheria (Ber., 8:1)
4. tonsillitis (Git, 69:1)
5. worms, parasites (Sab., 109:2)
6. jaundice (Sab., 109:2)
7. gout (Sota, 10:1)
8. dropsy (Sab., 33:1)
9. stone in the bladder (B. M., 85:1)
10. cardiacus (Git, 67:2)
11. hemorrhage of the lungs (Git., 69:1)
12. cancer (Ab. Z., 10:2)
13. gastritis (B. K., 80:1)
14. colic (Ned., 31:2)
15. flatulence (Pes., 116:1)
16. disease caused by drinking the froth of liquids (Git., 69:1)
17. hemorrhoids (Ber., 55:1)
18. scorbutus (Ab. Z., 28:1)
19. hip disease (Git, 69:2) [rheumatism?]
20. sexual diseases, syphilis, etc. (Sab., 110:1-2)
21. boils (Ab. Z., 21:1)
22. itch (Bech., 41:1)
23. carbuncle (Ab. Z., 28:1)
24. polypus (Ket, 77:1)
25. glanders ( Ket, 77:2)
26. hydrophobia (Hag., 3:2)
27. congestion of the brain (Git., 68:4)
28. impotence (Git, 70:1)
29. convulsions (HuL, 105:2)
30. epilepsy (Sab., 61:1)
31. bulemia (Yoma, 83:2)
32. nervousness manifested by the thought of impending danger (Git., 69:2)
33. wounds (Ab. Z., 28:17)
34. earache
35. toothache
36. headache
37. bleeding of the nose (Git., 69:1)
38. pterygium ophthalmia (Git, 69:1)
39. blindness, by day or night (Git, 69:1)