CM ‘very confident’ UK/EU treaty can be agreed, as Labour reaffirms support...

28th September 2021

Chief Minister Fabian Picardo said this week he remained “very confident” that a UK/EU treaty for the Rock’s post-Brexit relations with the bloc could be agreed.

Speaking at a reception hosted by the Gibraltar Government at the Labour Party conference in Brighton, Mr Picardo said the treaty, if agreed, would guarantee fluidity for people moving across the border between Gibraltar and the Schengen area starting in Spain, as well as “the potential” for fluidity of goods too.

Mr Picardo said Gibraltar was "very conscious" of the difficulties it could face without a deal, but he remained optimistic of prospects for an agreement and said talks could start "soon".

“I'm very confident that we're going to be able to do this treaty...” he told guests.

“I believe it distils the best of what membership of the European Union meant for Gibraltar into a new, bespoke arrangement, and I know that our friends in the Labour Party, on the front bench and on the back benches, and not just in Parliament but in the whole Labour family, are looking on to ensure that Gibraltar is protected and that nothing goes wrong in this critical period as we try and finalise this UK/EU treaty on Gibraltar.”

Continued at link.